Traditional Spanish Tortilla
- 6 eggs
- 1 pound 7 ounces (650 grams) potatoes
- 1 scallion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (100 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Tomato bread for serving
- Serving Size: 6-8
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Peel and quarter the potatoes, then cut into quarter-inch slices.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the potatoes 15-18 minutes on low heat so they don’t brown.
- Meanwhile, chop the scallion finely and cook in a small pan with a teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. When softened, remove from heat and set aside. When the potatoes are tender, remove from heat and drain oil in a colander. Reserve the excess oil.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl with the salt and baking powder. Use a spatula to gently stir the potatoes into the egg mixture.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil reserved from cooking the potatoes in an 8-inch pan and add the potato mixture. Place on medium heat until the bottom has cooked.
- Place a plate that is larger in diameter than the pan over the tortilla upside down, and carefully flip the tortilla onto the plate. Add another tablespoon of oil, then return the inverted tortilla to the pan and finish cooking.
Remove from heat and enjoy!