Traditional Caldo Tlalpeno Soup
- 1 cup of tomato puree
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of soybean oil
- 4 cups of homemade chicken broth
- 2 cups of shredded chicken
- 4 corn tortillas, cut in strips
- 1 tablespoon of soybean oil to fry tortilla strips
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup of crumbled queso fresco
- 1/3 cup of crème fraîche or crema mexicana
- In a blender, mix the tomato puree, the garlic, the chipotle pepper and the spices.
- With the stove set at medium, heat one teaspoon of soybean oil in the soup pan.
- Add the blended sauce to the hot soybean oil. Then add the chicken broth and the shredded chicken. Season to taste. Let it simmer, then cover until ready to serve.
- Using one tablespoon of soybean oil, fry the tortilla strips until golden brown. Place the fried tortilla strips on a paper towel to remove excess fat.
- Serve the soup hot and garnish with the fried tortilla strips, queso fresco cheese crumbles, crème fraîche, avocado and a slice of chipotle pepper.