Slow-Cooked Southern Ham
- 1 Bone-in Fully-cooked Ham, About 5 1/2 Pounds
- 1 Cup Apple Cider
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Kentucky Bourbon, *
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Dijon-style Mustard
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Serving Size: 12
- Cook time: 480 Minutes
Place the ham in a large slow cooker. Whisk the cider with the brown sugar, bourbon, honey and mustard. Slowly pour over the ham. Scatter the thyme sprigs into the slow cooker.
- Cook, on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours, or until very tender. Remove ham to rest on a cutting board.
- Pass the remaining cooking liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a saucepan.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Cut the ham into chunks or slices.
- Brush the cut pieces with the cooking liquid before arranging on a platter.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
* For a non-alcoholic alternative: replace the bourbon with 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
** Cooking tips: Use leftover ham to make Ham, Apple & Cheddar Crepes