Ripe Plantain Casserole
- 8 medium-sized ripe plantains, sliced
- 1 package of semi-soft pasteurized white cheese (500 grams), sliced
- 1 package of grated mozzarella cheese (4 cups)
- 3 medium potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of guava jam
- 4 eggs
- 2 cans of Spam meat
- 2 teaspoons of butter or cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste for eggs
- Serving Size: 4
- Cook time: 25 Minutes
The combination of plantain slices, white cheese, ham, potatoes and a touch of guava jam is an adventure you won’t want to miss!
- Fry the ripe plantain slices until they are browned, and remove and place them on absorbent paper to drain the excess.
- Boil the potatoes until they soften, approximately 20 mins. Do not overcook so that you can cut them into thin slices.
- Slice the semi-soft white cheese.
- Slice the Spam canned meat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or spray cooking oil on the bottom of a 9 x 12 cooking tray and begin to coat it with banana slices to make 3 layers. Assemble it lasagna style, in layers. The layers should be in this order: bananas, cheese, ham, potatoes, and so on. Place a drop of guava jam between each layer.
- The last layer should be plantains sprinkled with grated Mozzarella cheese.
- Beat the eggs, season with salt and pepper to taste, and pour to cover the whole cake.
- Place in the oven until the beaten egg is cooked and the top browned, about 20-30 mins.
- Remove from oven and let stand before cutting and serving.
Recipe by Claudia Ahrens-Hernández – cafeconclaudia.com