- 4 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 12 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of rum or brandy
- Serving Size: 6
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Mix the milk, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, nutmeg, and baking soda in a saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Bring the heat down to low and simmer for about 10 minutes
- Turn off the heat and remove the saucepan from the stove to cool.
- While the milk is cooling, beat the yolks until they are pale yellow.
- Slowly pour the egg yolk mix into the cooled milk and stir.
- Once it is completely mixed, place the saucepan back on the stove and turn the heat on medium-high, stirring the mixture frequently for about 5-7 minutes to keep it from curdling.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and pass it through a sieve to remove the cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Add the rum or brandy and mix well.
- Pour the finished recipe into a separate container with a lid and refrigerate it.
- Serve sprinkled with a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.