Loaded Autumn Guacamole
4 slices bacon
2 cups cubed butternut squash
1 tblsp. olive oil
8 fresh sage leaves
2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
Juice of 2 limes + extra for topping
1/4 cup chopped cilantro + extra for topping
1/4 tsp. salt
- Serving Size:
- Cook time:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil. Place the butternut squash on the baking sheet and toss it with olive oil and a few pinches of salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast your pumpkin seeds. Preheat a small skillet to medium heat and add the pumpkin seeds. Toast them, stirring often for a few minutes until they get a little golden. Remove them from the heat and set them aside.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high and fry the bacon until crispy. Let it drain on paper towels. Using the same pan, fry the sage leaves until golden, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Let them drain on paper towels as well. Chop the bacon once it’s cool enough to handle.
- Add the avocado, lime juice, and salt to a medium-sized mixing bowl and smash with a fork to desired consistency. Add cilantro and crumble in the sage using your fingers. Stir to combine. If you want to reserve a few of the leaves for garnish like I did, you can.
- Next, fold in the chopped bacon and pumpkin seeds, then the pomegranate seeds, reserving a little of each ingredient if you want to garnish the top. Lastly, gently fold in the butternut squash. Season to taste with salt. Garnish with extra cilantro, reserved toppings, and extra fried sage leaves, if using. Squeeze in a little extra lime juice to taste.