Green Pea Soup with Ham
- 5 Tablespoons Boiled Ham, 1-inch Cubed
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Spanish Onion, Or White Onion, Finely Chopped
- 5 Cups Frozen Peas
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream, Optional
- 2 Cups Fresh Spinach
- 1 Cup Green Peas, Cooked
- 3 Tablespoons Red Onion, Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Mint, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Parsley, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Ham, Diced
- Serving Size: 4
- Cook time: 25 Minutes
With sweet pea soup as the base and ham and green pea salsa placed on top, this soup adds flavor (and a pop of color) to the dinner table.
- Bring a medium-sized sauce pan to medium high heat.
- Melt butter and add 3 tablespoons of the diced ham, onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and ham edges have caramelized.
- Add peas and cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with white wine and cook for 5 minutes, until simmering.
- Add salt, water, cream and spinach and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Puree with a hand blender until smooth.
For Ham and Green Pea Salsa
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, onion, mint, parsley, olive oil, ham and mix. Add the peas and set aside.
Garnish soup with ham & green pea salsa, sour cream and remaining 2 tablespoons of diced ham.