Flaky Parmesan Palmiers
- 1 box (17.3 ounces) of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 5 ounces of Sartori SarVecchio® Parmesan cheese, finely shredded and divided (1 3/4 cups)
- 3 teaspoons of coarsely ground pepper, divided
- Serving Size:
- Cook time:
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface; roll the pastry into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle.
- Whisk the egg and milk; brush over the pastry. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of parmesan and 1 1/2 teaspoons of pepper.
- Score a line lengthwise down the center of the pastry with a knife. Tightly roll up the pastry to the score marks, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tightly roll up the remaining long side until the rolls meet.
- Brush inside each pastry roll with the egg wash, and press the rolls together to seal. Wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for 30 minutes. Repeat steps with the remaining puff pastry. Cover and refrigerate the egg wash.
- Cut each pastry widthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices cut-side down 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush with the egg wash. Sprinkle it with the remaining parmesan.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Flip the pastries. Bake for 2-3 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Make-ahead tip: Assemble the pastry up to wrapping it in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate the egg wash and remaining parmesan. Cut and bake the pastry as directed.
For best results, keep the second sheet of puff pastry refrigerated until rolling it out.