Boliche / Cuban Pot Roast
- 4 lbs beef eye of round roast, trimmed
- 2 links (4 oz.) chorizo
- Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning with Pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup corn oil, canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1½ cups)
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon. whole oregano leaf
- 8 baby potatoes, peeled
Mojo Criollo (Marinade)
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons bitter orange juice
- 1 cup dry white cooking wine
- 3 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Serving Size: 6
- Cook time: 360 Minutes
This dish is essentially a stuffed round roast with chorizo or ham. (We chose chorizo for this recipe.) Other cooks also add olives to stuff the round roast, but this version keeps it simple and classic. It’s always a crowd-pleaser at a Cuban dinner table, and is typically enjoyed with rice and a side of onions, potatoes, or sweet plantains.
- Clean the meat by trimming excess fat. With a knife, make an opening through the center of the meat. Using a long knife, cut a lengthwise slit in center of thickest end of roast to form a deep pocket, about 3” long.
- To prepare the marinade, mix garlic, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, bitter orange juice, cooking wine, salt and pepper.
- Place the meat in a resealable plastic bag and add the mojo marinade. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Once ready to cook, pre-heat oven to 275°F. Remove meat from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking; discard marinade. Pat beef dry. Stuff pocket of beef with the chorizo. Using kitchen twine, firmly tie beef in 1½” intervals, perpendicular to pocket, to enclose chorizo. Sprinkle beef all over with adobo.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef. Sear the beef on all sides with tongs, until golden brown (about 4 minutes). Reserve. Add the onions to the Dutch oven, and sear until soft for about 2 minutes. Pour wine and 4 cups of water into pot. Bring liquid to boil. Tightly cover pot and transfer to oven.
- Cook in the oven, flipping roast every hour, until beef is fork-tender, about 5 hours.
- To serve, cut beef roast into ½” slices. Serve with rice or your favorite side dishes.